The Urban Climate Change Resilience in Southeast Asia Partnership (UCRSEA) invites graduate students to apply for four (4) internships in Summer 2017. The internships will be based at UCRSEA partner organizations, which are located in Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam and Thailand.
In 2015 and 2016, students spent their internships with Mercy Corps, Institute for Social and Environmental Transition – International, Mahasarakham University, the Royal University of Phnom Penh and the Thailand Environment Institute.
The 2017 placements are being finalized. However, two internships at the Faculty of Environment and Resource Studies, Mahasarakham University, Thailand, will be available for students interested in working on the following research topics:
- Situation analysis of urban (household, public and business sector, industry) consumption waste behaviour, waste production and waste treatment for Khon Kaen City, including identification of key vulnerabilities to climate change hazards and possible resilience strategies
- Situation analysis of urban (household, public and business sector, industry) consumption behaviour and water supply capacities, including identification of key vulnerabilities to climate change hazards and possible resilience strategies
The UCRSEA partnership addresses vulnerabilities to climate change in urbanizing areas of Southeast Asia with the goal of enhancing resilience and, hence, economic and social well-being. Applicants are encouraged to refer to UCRSEA’s conceptual framework, available on the UCRSEA website (http://urbanclimateresiliencesea.apps01.yorku.ca). The Project is a collaboration between partner organizations and academics located in Cambodia, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam and Canada.
To be eligible, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Enrolled in a graduate programme at the University of Toronto, York University or the University of Ottawa.
- Able and eligible to spend up to three months in Southeast Asia between
1 May and 31 August 2017.
- Your field of study and research interests should be related to urban environmental governance, sustainable cities, political ecology, impacts of and responses to climate change in urban communities, responses to environmental change by marginalized or vulnerable communities.
Interns will receive airfare and related travel expenses, visa, eligible living expenses and a modest stipend.
We seek to establish long-term relationships with students and, as such, interns would be expected to actively participate in the Partnership during and after your internship, including involvement in the monthly virtual seminar on urbanization and climate change with graduate students from across the world. During your internship, you will be expected to engage with project activities and those of your host institution, in addition to your individual research and study.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are asked to contact the Program Manager (Canada) at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application form.
Deadline for applications is now closed.
Short-listed applicants will be invited to a short interview (conducted in person or virtually).
UCRSEA is supported by a five-year International Partnerships for Sustainable Societies (IPaSS) grant, funded by both the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) of Canada.